Sunday, November 09, 2008

This book makes me feel gemütlich.

I was at Powell's on a me-date looking for some books on typography and i found Fraktur Mon Amour, by Judith Schalansky. It's so beautiful; I love it. This fat little sexy book isn't like any typography book I've ever seen.

It's 8 x 5 inces of black, white, and pink and includes a disc of 150 fonts for your delectation. The 720 pages are filled with Blackletter fonts and crazy beautiful patterns made from an element of the type.

from the amazing and wonderful website/blog i love typography:




After my visit with this book at Powell's I convinced my boss to get it for the library. I now have it at home and am trying not to drool all over the pages. I'm not sure what it is about Blackletter and its babies that make me feel enraptured, but there it is. To see more glorious images from this book, take a look at the site Ministry of Type. Ooooooh.

We have the English-language (second edition) version and in the forward by the author I found this word:

Gemütlichkeit.

A German word that has been adopted into the English language, Gemülichkeit, is a noun that connotes coziness. (See schadenfreude.) But it's not just the coziness of a cup of tea at a toasty fireside. It's a feeling of warmth and belonging. What a great word for the holidays. Now I just need to figure out how to say it.

here's another book i look forward to perusing:

Mexican Blackletter

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home