Thursday, October 16, 2008

clear out that cobwebby brainattic!

here's a headline from Advertising Age:
Agencies Sweat as Clients Look Less Liquid

Ew.

And for something a little more scholarly, I found a quote that has been rolling around in my head like a glass marble in a metal bowl.

From Oregon Library Association Quarterly, Fall 2008:
Read something interesting once a day, at least. Read "one level up" or outside your area of expertise. Read related literature... Try to get a sense of what is ahead of you, not what's already happened.
-
Deb Carver
Dean of Libraries,
University of Oregon

This is really hard to remember. Sometimes, I only read the computer screen for work and then the back-side of a DVD cover while sitting on the couch. Even if I'm not "reading up" I think I'll try to learn something new every day. For example, you may have noticed that there is only one space after my periods. This is because a designer/illustrator friend told me that double-spacing at the end of a sentence is like, sooooo 1995. (Not a quote, italics are mine.) I was practicing some hand-lettering and read in a book on typography from 2005 the same thing. So no more double-spacing!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home